a girl can dream

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Shoulder Pads

(from dailymail.co.uk)



So, I was 0-10 in the 80s but i remember them well. I loved seeing my mother all dressed up for events in a powerful houndstooth suit with shoulder pads and pearls. Nothing was more glam to me then. I still love seeing them in 80s movies and shows like Dynasty and Dallas and wishing that kind of decadence might someday return. Ok, so apparently they have returned and now i'm not sure how I feel about it. Balmain on Beyonce is one thing (to die for), but for regular people? do they really belong back in the cubicle? Melanie Griffith was so cute in her pads and power hunt in Working Girl.. but 2009 really? I really do believe shoulder pads can do wonders for women's bodies. The broad / big shoulder illusion leads the eye to see a narrow waist (i.e. a swimmer's V-shape). Well, I held onto a couple of my mother's wool suits from the 80s and I LOVE them. One gray one in particular I'll post a pic of later has slim-cut pants with a super high waist and a side zip and a boxy cut jacket with SHOULDER PADS and all silk lining. I think it might finally be time to wear it with pride at the office...

P.S. check out www.shoulerpads.net for some Dynasty love

No comments:

Post a Comment